3rd century BC Starting point for the sacred Oracle of Dodona. And Zeus appointed his oldest oracle and integral part of the largest theater capacity of 18,000 seats. The Sacred Intimate, the four (4) churches, the Ancient Stadium, the parliament and the Prytaneum.
2312 years later, 500 meters from the ancient Prytaneum standing upright new Prytaneum, the Prytaneio DesignHotel.
Standing and gazing at the history of our country.
Listens gray stones and bows to greatness.
Dodona... definitely the site selection was not random.
Mysterious energy, beauty enchants.
Intoxicating combination that makes the mind and the heart to calm!
Sights & Attractions in the area
Ancient theater of Dodona
The ancient theater of Dodona in Epirus is one of the largest and best preserved ancient Greek theaters.
Η Ancient Dodona was worship of Zeus and Dione. He was also known oracle of the Ancient Greek world. Determine geographically located about 2 km from the village of Dodona and lies in a closed, elongated valley at the foot of Mountain Tomaros, at an altitude of 600 m.
Dodona as an archaeological site in accordance with the archaeological evidence is reported to be active since the Bronze AgeFocused on the worship of Gaia or other female fertility deity. The first evidence for the existence of the oracle of Dodona as a place of worship is placed arround 2600 BC
At Ancient theater of Dodona was built in the 3rd century BC Pyrros reign. With a capacity of 18,000 spectators and was the largest of its time. The Sacred Intimate, the four (4) churches, the Ancient Stadium, the parliament and the Prytaneum. The ancient Prytaneum, administrative building and accommodation for discerning guests.In celebration of Naion honor of Naious Zeus, except the races were on stage and theatrical competitions.
The theater was destroyed and repaired twice. The first time it was destroyed by the Aetolians με τον βασιλιά Dorimacho το 219 BCBut next year the king Philip V of Macedonia began repairs. In 167 BC, The Roman general Aemilius Paulus destroyed again until 31 BC repaired again by Roman Emperor Octavian Avgoustos to be used as arena for animal fights by the Romans. The wall that is in front of the first seats built at this time to protect spectators from the arena beasts.I reached up to the stage and had an oval shape. In two triangular rooms, formed by the firewall and the wall of the stage, kept wild animals. The theater remained in this form until the end of the 4th century. A.D., when it stopped working.
The monument was originally excavated by archaeologist K. Karapanos the 1875-1878. Later, the area investigated the archeology professor D. Evagelidis to S. Dakaris (1929-1932), who continued the excavation activity after the Second World War, and contributing to the renovation of the theater.
Valley of Dodoni
The ancient verdant Valley of Ancient Dodona which is surrounded in the archaeological site of Dodona. The main advantage for the visitor, the peace and tranquility of the countryside and the "spirituality" of the natural landscape accordingly.
The area is considered the birthplace of the Greek-speaking tribes, as is apparent both from historical sources and from findings dating back to last season copper. The temple was dedicated to Zeus and Naios to the sites included Oracle (around the sacred oak called Figos) Theatre, Prytaneum and deputies. The most important buildings of the temple were built at the time of King Pyrros of Molossosso the sanctuary flourished. Today's archaeological site includes the ancient theater and the holy house of the oracle. In an unparalleled virgin natural environment the visitor except the historical monuments in the area, one can enjoy the beauty of the valley and the mountain trails through to hiking trails, you can choose even reaching up to the mountain retreat of Olytsikas.
Manteio village of Dodona
The Oracle is the nearest (500 meters) to the village archaeological site of Dodona, located in the valley Dodoneos. As autonomous settlement developed around 1800when Ali - Pasha wanted to reward the officer Tachir Aga. Besides the archaeological site of particular historical interest is the church of Agia Paraskevi which was built in commanding position by armatolos Konitsas, Grevena Chassia Rep. Totskasafter prompt and requirement of Saint Kosmas in 1776.
Folklore Museum Meligi
At Folklore Museum Meligi is located four kilometers from the ancient Dodona, at the foot of Mount Tomaros the prefecture of Ioannina, in a wooded area of walnut and fruit trees. Established in 1994 and maintained by Theoharis Sakkas, who wanted to collect and save the cultural heritage of the place.
The Museum is housed next to the church and cypress spoke Patrokosmas, the old village school and is now part of the Cultural Center of Meligi Municipality of Dodona. In the three halls accommodated traditional tools, costumes, textiles, handicraft tools, belts, utensils and furniture rural kitchen. Admission is free.The Folklore Museum Meligi is open daily from 9 am until 6 pm More information can be found at tel 26510.82319.
HIKING - ROUTES
Routes in Olytsika from the Mountaineering Association of Ioannina ...)
In the villages of Dodona encountered large number of Byzantine and post-Byzantine monuments, which are an attraction for the visitor.
Next to the second largest source of Acheron, shortly before Sistrouni to the right of the road Ardosis to Sistrouni, the Church Genesis Virgin Strounis was founded in 1156, was destroyed by an unknown cause and rebuilt on the left of Strouniotikou river (tributary of Arahthos river).
To 1776 built in a forest, the church of Agia Paraskevi. Built on a hill of the church is dominated by the towering dome of the surrounding area.
The church of Panagia at Dramesi was built in 1664 AD and functioned as a nunnery. Surrounded by a mandrotoicho constructed in 1871 according to inscription.
In the central square of the village Meligi. Reportedly established in the 9th century AD m.Ch.To 1757
In the late 13th century built in Kostaniani the holy church of the Archangels, who exemplifies achitektonikis of 'School of Epirus "
The village, which is situated at the foot of the Prophet Elijah, there is a church dedicated to the Virgin Mary, which was built in 1880-1882.
Church of Agia Kyriaki Poligiros village
Of interest are the inscriptions and paintings of the church of Agia Kyriaki, dating to 1812.
Located 4 km from the main road Vargiades - Derviziana the monastery of Panagia Toskesi adorns the left bank of the Acheron, which flows among the tall trees under the strict gaze Tomaros. Great location and the monument of rare beauty.
A well maintained complex, built in 1866, under the village Romanus, standing living witness of a rich monastery with great light, perhaps the most significant in Souli.